Janet Jackson Addresses Instagram Account Suspensions and Video Removals | Dayz Entertainment
 

Share This Post

Share This

Janet Jackson has addressed reports of her management team's strict takedown requests, some of which were said to have resulted in fans' Instagram accounts having uploaded media deleted, their accounts suspended, or both. The takedowns were first reported by the New York Post.

In a statement posted to Twitter, Jackson says she's instructed her team to be less draconian towards live clips going forward, though with the caveat that longer-length videos will be taken down. "It was never [management's] intention, acting on my behalf, to have social media accounts removed," writes Jackson. "Permitting the use of long clips does present a contractual problem for these projects. I hope you understand. I trust the fans will use their short recordings for their own memories and to share on their social media networks of choice."

In a statement provided to Billboard, Instagram writes that some of the account deletions were a mistake, though they can and do remove infringing material as requested. (Companies like Instagram are required by law to do so, when rights holders can provide evidence of ownership and outline misuse.) “When we receive a valid report of intellectual property infringement," says Instagram. "We’re legally required to remove the reported content and to disable the accounts of repeat infringers. However, in this instance, we have identified a bug that resulted in the removal of accounts that shouldn’t have been removed. We have fixed the bug and are in the process of restoring the impacted accounts.”

Here's Jackson's full response:

Hey you guys, I have been listening...

I love and appreciate my fans. I want you to know that I enjoy watching the short video clips of how you are Burning It Up at the Unbreakable shows. Please keep posting them.

My team is passionate about protecting the intellectual property we are creating for the tour and possible future projects. It was never their intention, acting on my behalf, to have social media accounts removed. Permitting the use of long clips does present a contractual problem for these projects. I hope you understand. I trust the fans will use their short recordings for their own memories and to share on their social media networks of choice.

I have asked my team to change their approach and allow you to engage socially with these videos.

I know I wouldn't be here without the love I stand on.




Post a Comment

 
Top