Black Woman Makes History As First To Earn Ph.D. In Physics From UGA | Dayz Entertainment
 

Share This Post

Share This

In December, Whitney Ingram will make history as the first African-American woman ever to graduate from the University of Georgia with a Ph.D. in Physics.
⠀⠀
According to OCG News, who first reported the story, Ingram is quite modest about her remarkable accomplishment. “It didn’t really register. I think I was thinking too small and making it much smaller than it was, but I’m just doing what I love,” she said.

The 27-year-old student is also a part of a UGA research team that specializes in nanotechnology.

“Being black is one thing. But women and even Americans are minorities in the field of physics,” Ingram told OCG News. “I’m basically an anomaly. I’m the first, but I don’t want to be the last. Now that I think about it, I don’t see any black females coming up under me and none of my teachers were Black or even American. I want females to be inspired to do this.”
⠀⠀⠀
Next month, Ingram will become one of fewer than 100 African-American PhD physicists in the country. Ultimately, she says, she wants to be a professor.


Source: BallerAlert

Post a Comment

 
Top